"Lets make like a branch and get the fuck out of here" - Shane O'Neill

So I'm in a job that frustrates the Jaysus out of me, paying through the nose for an apartment in skagsville, drink with the same gobshites every week and support a football club that disappoint me more than when Ghostbusters was cancelled from that ideal Saturday morning slot as a youngfella.

So what do you do? Grab your mate, leggit and don't look back!

Tuesday 27 March 2012

It's all about the disappointment.....

Usually my Blog titles have nothing to do with the actual drivel I write about, but this one does. I'm going to change it up a bit and take the majority of this section to talk about my beloved Shelbourne Football Club, who I left behind when I departed for South East Asia. You see for most people, all they have to leave behind is a career, a bunch of mates or in some cases, their wives. For me, I was leaving behind the thing I love most in this world (along with my mother goose and my papo, I'll get in trouble if don't add them in) 

It's not just about the typical "lads going to watch the football down the boozer in your replicas" with us. Oh no. supporting your local club, being apart of the highs and lows and actually being there to witness it makes you so much more involved.You share a connection with these other people who you may share no common interest with, apart from Shels, and you grow closer as mates than people you knew your whole life. It's a culture. It's waking up Friday morning and thinking "YES". It's waking up Saturday morning, itching for Friday to do it all over again. Home games in Tolka Park, meeting up with all the lads, some of whom you haven't seen since the week, sometimes two, previous, having a pint and strolling up t the floodlights and turnstiles,an undescribable buzz you feel. The carnage of away days, hiring a bus or getting the train, where applicable, with your mates Talking nonsense with quality tunes in the background and the comfort of a few cans. Last minute winners, cult heroes making last ditch tackles, beating Rovers. Amazing feelings nothing can top.


So, being away from all this, just as The Auld Reds had reached their pinnacle after 5 years of life in the nether regions of Irish football was incredibly hard to take, especially since no one understood what I was going through. Cup final place secured and on the brink of promotion to the Premier division. Bitter sweet isn't the word.


We arrived to Tagbilaran, booked in and set up camp in our minature sized room. It doesn't have grasshoppers or Flying foxes, so I'm content. What they do have however are giant rats running around in the roof directly above our heads. Nightmare. The noise being made, I was certain that these were coming through the roof. When I asked the staff about it, I was met with laughter and something in Tagalog. 

A cat is introduced to the mix, in the roof. Proper session going on up there now. I'm so thankful I don't have a hangover. I go out, a lot of food is purchased. An awful lot. 

Two 16 inch pizzas
Two dozen Dunkin' Donuts
6 cans of Coke (3 Diet for Mrs Magoo)
2 kebabs
Ferrero Roche
2 tubes of Sour Cream Pringles 

Suffering really badly for the next hour and to my horror I realize it's an "Alcohol free stay"

Shiza.

The Reds are playing Finn Harps to try secure promotion tonight, I'm not there. I will need beer for this.

I sneak back with a few tipples (Rum and coke) plug in the laptop and sit up to watch 11 heroes in Red hopefully get back to the big time. 

I wake B, 5 times, during the night. Once for each goal and the final whistle with my shouting. 

4-0 Shels' 

She ain't happy, I am so consumed with utter joy I don't even cop she's plotting my downfall once I stop jumping around. 

But who cares?? 

SHELBOURNE ARE BACK!!

When the were demoted back in 2007, it started a horrible downward spiral for me with one thing after another going wrong, personally and professionally. 

Knowing we had made the return back, it was as if all the demons following me, disappeared. I had woken from a 5 year nightmare. Life is good, life is great. 


The saying for years has always been "The Auld Reds - It's all about the disappointment"

While it was still true for me, the only reason I was disappointed, is because I wasn't there to see it.


This one's for the lads back home. 

Keep the flag Flyin'


1895.

FTA.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment