"Lets make like a branch and get the fuck out of here" - Shane O'Neill

So I'm in a job that frustrates the Jaysus out of me, paying through the nose for an apartment in skagsville, drink with the same gobshites every week and support a football club that disappoint me more than when Ghostbusters was cancelled from that ideal Saturday morning slot as a youngfella.

So what do you do? Grab your mate, leggit and don't look back!

Wednesday 4 April 2012

"Sure, you could talk that into coming down"

We're waiting for our flight in Tagbilaran airport and to my surprise, they have live entertainment, only in the Philippines aye? Two blokes and a girdle singing playing guitar cool as you like in their shades smiling away. I thought they were really good and was a tad upset to board the flight because I was really enjoying the performance.

The flight itself was your average near death experience. We landed in Manila with no intention of hanging around as we were running out of time in the Phillies. I think we're four weeks here at this stage so we're heading for Olongapo up north of Manila. An absolute gent gets on the bus selling Dunkin' Donuts so without thinking twice I've bought them from him and I'm tucking into a dozen Bavarian Creams. B is on her 'diet', but no one can turn down one of these beauts down, especially on a 6 hour bus journey. 'The Hulk' is being shown but it's the rubbish one with the fella who looks like a leprechaun, it will do however. In typical Philippino style, they stop it halfway through and start showing some Phillie soap opera. The acting leaves a lot to be desired.

Arrive to Olongapo around 10pm and find a busy street called Maysaysay drive. We book into a small place for 3 nights. We're going to Subic tomorrow, to the Zoobic safari. Yerrrrah!


A slight side step here; The four weeks we've been on the road, it has been nice to get into a place, slap on some tv and relax for a bit. However, tv here goes for ad breaks every 5-8 minutes. They show the same 3-4 ads each time. For the older readers, you may remember Betty White from the "Golden Girls", well she's a star again. Every 5minutes we were reminded on this. "Noooooooobody knows......" It became a proper inside joke for the two of us for pretty much the rest of the travels and even now... (considering I'm still away)


The safari was animal, pun intended. We got our photos taken with baby tigers, visited averies and a crocodile farm. I even got to feed crocs with chicken on a fishing rod and then a couple of chaps who lived in the mountains came down in animal skin covering their nether regions and danced around for a bit with sticks. We boarded a jeep and went around the field with tigers in it. The bloke beside me has chicken hanging of the side and on the roof and we're surrounded by all these amber and black fellas jumping on the roof and clawing the side of the jeep. Excellent stuff altogether.

After that, we went to a Marine park. Dolphin and seal shows galore. That was pretty cool too. Especially knowing that there are dolphins and seals smarter than most of my mates. Special note to the volunteer who tried to be smart and messed up completley and slid into the water. I could talk all day about it but you know my style by now.

SUBWAY!!!

I've missed those sandwiches, they always remind me of my good mate Niamhie Campbell. As we sit enjoying this rare treat, I notice it's October 31st, Hallowe'en, yet they have Christmas trees up everywhere. I suppose it's ok when you live in a country with no rules, laws or traditions!


Olongapo/Subic, it was nice knowing you, but now we have to leave, we're going north again, to Vigan. As far as I know it's the oldest Philippino village. It's reminiscent of a 17th century Spanish town, with cobblestones and horse and cart is the main mode of transport. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this.

I'm edgy however as Shels are in the season closer, the FAI Cup final in Landsdowne Road in Dublin against a bunch of Boggers and farmers from Sligo. The thought of me missing it because I'm trapped on a twelve hour bus journey isn't the most enjoyable experience. I'm distracted for a moment by the homeless chap robbing the curtains on the bus.


We arrive in Vigan and it's 11pm, we always get to places at stupid hours and grab the first place we find usually. We get into a place called Grandpas Inn and it's like staying in your Grannies or Grandas place if they lived on the Iberian peninsula. I don't take in too much of the surroundings as I have to catch this match on RTE online.

After going 1-0 up, my favourite ref reduces the Reds to 10 men and Sligo equalise. We hold out 10 v 12, basically, til penalties and eventually the wooly backs win it on penalties. So so proud of my Shelbourne. Heroes in Red. Regardless of the result.


Now I have no more distractions, tomorrow, we're going exploring Vigan.



Next up is wandering aimlessly, Baguio and partying with gangsters.

I almost forgot to say, remember the chaps singing? Yeah they were blind. Everyone had copped it, except me. I thought they were all smiling at me too. Pfffft.

Anyways.....

See yiz after!


No comments:

Post a Comment