"Lets make like a branch and get the fuck out of here" - Shane O'Neill

So I'm in a job that frustrates the Jaysus out of me, paying through the nose for an apartment in skagsville, drink with the same gobshites every week and support a football club that disappoint me more than when Ghostbusters was cancelled from that ideal Saturday morning slot as a youngfella.

So what do you do? Grab your mate, leggit and don't look back!

Tuesday 2 October 2012

"If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough "

December 24th, 2011, it's been almost 3 months traveling. Living in the most extreme circumstances. Getting eaten alive by insects, being attacked by bats, single beds that felt so much like concrete that the floor was more comfortable, showering with cold water in buckets and being constantly sticky with sweat either from lack of air-con or else just there being no showering facilities at all.

So, arriving up to a 5 star hotel in the recently refurbished coastal town of Khao Lak, was something we were just not ready for.

Greeted by a sexy Mrs Clause with champagne for us, our bags were taken to our room by the staff. Everyone was in uniform and the place was absolutely huge. It was a lot to take in. The main attractions here was the power shower, tv, dvd player, dressing gowns AND slippers and a mini bar. Comfortable beds, room service, nice view. What more could you ask for?

A free Christmas Eve dinner/buffet/show? Wear your best clothes? Sure why not, this was awesome. Luxury I sure was not used to. It was well special, what made it really special was the fact that I had worked every Christmas day for the past 5 years (me being the gent that I am, I always volunteered to work it to give people with kids the time off, okay everyone, a collective 'awwwwwwwwwwww')

The buffet was laid out impeccably, everything you could imagine was there (except me mothers mash) and presentation was A1. Amazing food, gorgeous girls, a cracking show going on with dancers and singers, even Santa made an appearance and me good mate B. Twas marvellous.

After we went out done some sort of candle/kite wish thing, I don't remember what I wished for, probably Shels to get to next seasons final and to beat Rovers along the way?

Merry Christmas Dan.....


Christmas day, well well well. B got me a tuk-tuk model. It's my 2nd one now, I've a collection started.

My one gripe I have with this day, is as a whole, it's boring and repetitive, in that every year you have the same routine. Get up, open presents, go to relatives, come home, eat dinner, drink, bed. Snore.

Well, this year, it was the following; Get up, hot shower in a shower bigger than my bedroom back home, sun cream up, go to the beach (located outside our front door) and proceed to lie there whilst gorgeous Thai girls make us cocktails and us being us, we order hamburgers for lunch. Easily the best Christmas day I ever had.

Obviously it was a bit weird not having the familia around, so both myself and B got in touch with the folk back home to let them know how we were getting on. The only thing I can recall is my two younger brothers being quite "tired and emotional" having had a hefty one the night before, glad it wasn't me for once.


For our Christmas dinner, we had lobster! I'd never had it before, there was other stuff there too, but that was the main event, easily. We got a bottle of wine and B went on to show me proper table manners and how to woo the women by being a "gentleman". I'd be putting it to the test over the next couple of weeks.

It was a real nice Christmas day topped off by playing Jenga and connect 4 with a load of Thai people. Ringing room Service and charging it to our account was mega, until the final bill came. 4 days in this hotel we had clocked up the shocking amount of 20,000 baht. 500 Euro in real money. We put it down to just another experience for us as we surely wouldn't be doing anything like this again for a while anyway. Money was looking down south and we still had a full moon/countdown party on Kho Phangnan and the whole of January before we arrived in Australia for February.

B, again was feeling rough so instead of heading to Ko Samui straight away, we had to hold up the fort in Khao Lak, although it was back to reality in a small dingy little cave like room and Mackers was on the menu....


Ahhhhhh, normal service has resumed.......

No comments:

Post a Comment