"Lets make like a branch and get the fuck out of here" - Shane O'Neill

So I'm in a job that frustrates the Jaysus out of me, paying through the nose for an apartment in skagsville, drink with the same gobshites every week and support a football club that disappoint me more than when Ghostbusters was cancelled from that ideal Saturday morning slot as a youngfella.

So what do you do? Grab your mate, leggit and don't look back!

Tuesday 2 October 2012

"If you live in a glass house, don't be chucking stuff about."

This 2nd Khao Lak entry is literally just going to be about me fulfilling a life long dream, of about twenty minutes.....


B was staying in and I fancied a pint (you can't get pints over here, so a rum and coke would have to suffice), crossed the road and seen this heroic little gaff, sort of like a garage with a couple of bottles of spirits lying about with some plastic garden furniture, with a bloke and 2 girls sitting around smoking, with Drum and Bass in the background. I felt like I was in an episode of "Skins".

Anywho, Josh from England and Anja from Germany, with her German mate invite me to drink with them. It doesn't take me long to realize that there's a distinct lack of barmen about, I don't know if you'd even call people working here barmen, I reckon you just call them your mates, coz no one in their right mind would probably drink here if you weren't mates with the staff. 

Josh and Anja work here they tell me, they rent it for 3 months and then they're moving on to pastures greener. They seem to enjoy it. It's hardly a money making activity as I'm pretty sure in the hour I've been here Josh has drank away any profit I have given. It was late afternoon and I decided I'd go back and check in on hop'along who was not well at all. 

Got back, to the little wonderland for around 3 hours. It was boring here with not a lot going on. There's only so many trips to Mackers you can do, the little bedsit bar was calling me.....


20 minutes later I'm across the road, I walk into the bar and to my shock, it's bouncing! 

Well, there's 12 people there, but the bar can really, realistically only fit about 6.

Poor Josh is struggling to serve everyone, even telling people to "take their own beer" from the fridge and pay for it later. He is then hit with a request that brings tears to his eyes. 

"6 Margaritas please" 

He's unsure how to do them. 

This is where yours truly gets involved.

"Eh, I can make them" I suggest.....

Before I know it I'm working in a bar, again, not the kind of bar you or me are used to and it's certainly no Dublin-esque pub, but it was fun and I was decent enough at doing it, no one got spiked and glass smashing was at a minimum.

The bar made a loss but let's look on the bright side of things. 

The building was still standing, even if it's occupants were not.


Josh reveals he can't pay me for my efforts. I tell him I'm like a modern day superhero and I require no payment. I'm just about to fly off into the distance (run across the road to my guesthouse) when he introduces a bottle of Rum, we shut up the bar and get the ice out..... this could get interesting... we just need the lovely Anja back....



5 hours later, Keyless, I'm climbing over a rather large spiked gate praying to the large Mantus in the sky that I don't get impaled. Takes a good ten minutes to maneuver myself over the iron structure when out of nowhere comes the little 5 foot nothing Thai woman who owns the place and she simply pushes the gate open.... after all the dramatic situations I had found myself in over the past 3 months and to be honest, 25 years of life, that would have been an embarrassing death.... You've got to laugh.


Ko Samui is the destination next. A few days there with a new years eve countdown party in between, after that we're unsure what to do, but as you learn with traveling, it's better to make no plans as things just fall into place and with all the people I was meeting, it was hard to imagine life without knowing them. 

That was a bit soft, next up is Lamai beach, outdoor strippers and my first Guinness for 3 months. 

G'luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment