"Lets make like a branch and get the fuck out of here" - Shane O'Neill

So I'm in a job that frustrates the Jaysus out of me, paying through the nose for an apartment in skagsville, drink with the same gobshites every week and support a football club that disappoint me more than when Ghostbusters was cancelled from that ideal Saturday morning slot as a youngfella.

So what do you do? Grab your mate, leggit and don't look back!

Thursday 4 October 2012

"Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun."

The  coach left us at Surrethani, the little change over spot, yet again, I think this could be our 3rd time here. Our ferry is to Ko Samui and we're getting dropped to the port by a company whose driver is a lovely little Thai gent who looks to be absolutely off his head on glue. He's picking people up on the side of the road and dropping them to their houses. In one case, he actually got out of the motor (which was still running) and went into someones house for maybe 15 minutes and came out eating noodles. I'm surprised at myself for being surprised. 

We get to the ferry as it's pulling off and just about make it on.

It's not so packed on the top deck so we make our way up and hold on for the 2 hour or so trip. We'd spotted a beautiful Asian girl sitting by herself. I'm convinced she's Philippino, B thinks otherwise. I'm perplexed, so I shuffle my way over and ask the very general "excuse me, have you ever been to Samui before?" 
 Her reply of  "No, I live in Bangkok", may have proved me wrong and B right but more importantly it has also given me a reason to continue this conversation as she hasn't thrown water over me or moved to another seat like it usually pans out. I use the gift of Dublin shite talk to reel her in and by the end of the 2 hours, we'd exchanged details and were going to meet up at the full moon party, result.

After that me and B grab a jeepney styled tuk-tuk and decide on Lamai beach to dig our heels in. 
Ko Samui is a crazy place, in fact crazy doesn't sum it up. There's lots going on here, like a giant local community street party except replace friendly neighbours and BBQ's with strippers and Chang beer.

It's the 1st time we're struggling to find somewhere to stay - within budget, which to be honest was running low. 

Eventually we're pointed in the direction of a little hidden away secret by a stoned hippy. It's cheap, which is our only item we need to check off the list at this stage. 

The plan has been made to stay in Samui and grab a ferry over to the infamous Kho Phangnan for the Countdown party, stay for the chaotic beach invasion and bundle onto the ferry back the next morning. Then our stuff will be safe and we won't get ripped off on accommodation. Smart fuckers we are.

Until then we were going to enjoy the scenery around us (well I was) I have to say, despite the seediness about the place, I quite enjoyed as it was something different and had a bit of life to it, something we hadn't really had since Phi Phi.

Next door to where we were staying had an Irish bar, with mashed potatoes, Guinness and The Dubliners greatest hits playing in the background. Having that.

Soon enough it's turned into quite a modern styled bar with the stools taken away from the bar and a live band doing their best Evanescence covers.

B get's up to sing and get's quite a good reception as per usual. 

I sit there and drink more Guinness.

 Eventually, I get a bit fed up and rather than try a new bar, we've a big one tomorrow, have to be in the game for that one. The Dave fella has got in touch with me, he's in Samui but I can't reply to him. Bit of a shame, but what can ya do. Back to base to chill out and prepare myself for the New Years Eve countdown party. Epic.


I'll give you a clue how this ends for me;

Badly, in the best way possible.

Cheers folks.

1 comment: