"Lets make like a branch and get the fuck out of here" - Shane O'Neill

So I'm in a job that frustrates the Jaysus out of me, paying through the nose for an apartment in skagsville, drink with the same gobshites every week and support a football club that disappoint me more than when Ghostbusters was cancelled from that ideal Saturday morning slot as a youngfella.

So what do you do? Grab your mate, leggit and don't look back!

Thursday 24 May 2012

"Thank you Super Nintendo Chalmers..."

We had never been on a sleeper train, so this was exciting. We both had lower bunks and neither of us had a clue how these seats were supposed to resemble beds. We got chatting with a pair of English lads, one was a Geordie, 'Boro fan and the other a Cockney Spurs fan, nice to meet people supporting their local clubs. They were sound although we never got their names. The Cockney had lived in Thailand, Ko Tao for the past few years and was just on a Visa run and on his way back home. We were having great laughs and finding out about Bangkok from him but B got a bit annoyed when the conversation descended into talking about our 3 local clubs, it was inevitable. 

No idea about the time at this but we eventually get the security fella to set up our beds and we go for a bit of a kip. One of the best sleeps I've had I must say. We are up, around 11 or 12am arriving into Bangkok, that had been flooded apparently the week before we arrived and you could see the damage that had been done, outside the city was destroyed with people sleeping on the roof of their houses and getting around in little canoe  styled tin shoe boxes. 

The whole time we had been away, we were taking turns withdrawing money. I'd go the first time and we'd both live off it until it was gone, then B would go, and so forth. It was my turn now. Thai Baht seemed to be fairly similar to the Peso in Philippines at 40 Baht to the Euro. Withdrawal made, let's get to Khoasan Road! The place to be in Bangkok for foreigners or 'Falang' as they call us.

We grab a Tuk-tuk, it's a tricycle except there's no car on the side, its at the back, bit more comfortable and safe.... kiiiiinda is....

We haggle with him because that's what you do there and we arrive at our destination about 15 minutes later. It's basically Grafton Street in Dublin with high buildings, thousands of people from every country you can think of with bars, pubs, clubs and food shops everywhere. There is also a big bunch of clothes stalls with knock offs   for next to nothing. I need new clothes as everything I have come away with has shrunk or been forever stained in blood and grease. For once, B goes for a beer while I go looking for a place to stay. The first place I find, I book. The Siam Oriental, it's 400 Baht per night for a Double bed, air con and hot shower. That's 10 Euro per night, or 5 Euro each really. 2 nights please. Ding ding!

We have a Thai curry and a couple of beers followed by purchasing some new clothes. She's off buying bikinis or whatever and I get a handful of Lacoste, Fred Perry and Ralph Lauren polo's, I look respectable again.

The first night on the Khaosan gets a little messy as we get on the Chang from early and we both wake up the next day not having a clue what had happened. There's a carton of Pad Thai and spring rolls in the corner, breakfast!!

Mc Donalds is hit, so I can cross this off my list of countries I've eaten it in. On the way back a lovely little Thai man in a Tuk-tuk says he will bring us around the city for 10Baht. Big mistake.

We're floating about just laughing at everything, I am in awe as I really thought I was going to hate Thailand but I have no problem sticking my hands up, this place is great. To be honest, I didn't really mind that he brought us to every suit shop and travel agent there was, because he actually brought us to some beautiful temples and a high castle type thing that looked out over the whole of Bangkok. Really nice.

We fake that B has a headache and unless he brings us back he ain't getting any dosh so of course before we know it we're back having a beer, getting hassled to buy suits, go on another tuk tuk adventure or have a massage.....

Hmmm.... massage doesn't sound too bad.

It's the weirdest experience ever, unfortunately they think we're a couple, so I get some hefty bloke cracking my neck and back, I had a beer though, so not the worst. 

We get this mad fish experience where you stick your feet into the water and you have all these fish eat the dead skin off you. B's face is hilarious for this, photos to follow.

More beer is consumed at the top of this rooftop bar, known infamously as "The Roof", little did I know of the amazing nights I would have up here over the next 2 + months, in time, don't worry. They have a saying in Thailand, "Same Same, but different" and it was true here again as another night, another wake up without having a clue what was going on the following morning. Hazy isn't the word as we pack up to check out, we're heading for Chiang Mai up the very north of Thailand. Beers that have been found in the room are packed into respective rucksacks, new clothes are packed away and we're off, only one problem, it's 10am and our night train isn't until 7.30pm. 

We're walking about, B is calling for the cinema to watch this Twilight business but I'm having none of it. The Secret and now this in the space of a week? You may as well put me in a dress. On our walk about, we meet this heroic Thai man, probably in his mid to late 60's but as nimble as a 30 year old. He brings us around on the bus to the main markets and then we take a long boat down the middle of the river dividing Bangkok in two. It's amazing, he finds out we're Irish so he insists on bringing us for a beer and who are we to say no?


We're both half cut by the time we arrive for the train and I'm all ready for my bed. I'm down taking out my sleeping bag when a girl tips her head around from the seat in front. I go with my patented "Alright?" with head nod, and she replies..... "Hey are you Irish?" 




Next I'll talk about meeting Sean, Clare and Pascal, Junior House and the first couple of days in Chiang Mai.

Have a good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment